Monday, February 09, 2009

At Last, an update

Hi Bokachodas
It has been a LONG LONG time since my last update.
In this last one year, so much has happened.

One of the original Khankis, Dusty Balls (Paul D'Gama), sadly passed away.
Paul was a friend for over 35 years, and I can still remember him playing "Lattoo" in the small school field. I can picture him rolling in the mud on the same field after a particularly heavy drenching, at 4.30 pm. my dad who had come to pick me up was shocked.

You might find this strange, but I can never picture Paul as a man with ample proportions, he will always remain that young boy rolling in the mud to me.

I have now spent a little over 2 years in Oz and am about to become a citizen.
Keenan is now in Grade 6 and has forgotten all his Hindi. Dylan just started Kindy this year. Charmaine is now very close to getting her driving license, and get freedom from dependence on another driver(me).

South Australia is a strange place for a person coming from the chaos of India.
SA is larger than France but the entire population of SA will easily fit into a suburb or two of Mumbai. There are less than 1.75 million South Aussies of which, more than half live in Adelaide.

One of the most interesting headlines in the papers was the one in which the Premier, Mike Rann proudly announced that our population was increasing in leaps and bounds and that at the present rate we would have 2 million South Aussies by 2050!!!

SA is one of the only places in the world where the most popular beverage is NOT a cola..... it is a milk based drink.

SA is the dryest state in the dryest continent, and water is always in short supply i.e. in an Aussie way. We cannot use hoses to wash our cars,( but can go to carwashes and use high pressure hoses as long as we like) and are forbidden from using sprinklers to water our gardens. People keep grumbling here about that. They haven't seen the queues for water at a tubewell or corporation tap.

Adelaide is city that jealously guards its uniqueness. It prefers NOT to be a 24 hour city believing that everyone has a right to be with his or her family instead of working away.

It is beautiful city, far more picturesque than Melbourne, but much smaller. Though Melbourne has a vibrant and modern CBD, I find the suburbs are dull and drab compared to the colourful, pretty houses in Adelaide.
Being a small city, people still greet each other on the road.

I hope I find the time to uipload some of the many photographs taken in the last one year.

I hope with your help we can revive this blog. After all this time, we should not let it die away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have found you, you f**k**s!! Contact me @ georgekjennings@gmail.com